|Spicy pickled tofu ferment in lactic acid (milk kifer whey)|
and a few spices. Now it a probiotic pickle.:)
First of all, I have to say, this came about sort of by accident. I started out making an Asian tofu dish called, "Stinky Tofu". I was looking for more healthier dishes to add to my diet. Well after my research I've come to realize, "Stinky Tofu" is not for me...no matter how healthy it is! Yup, I can do without the stink, and slime. However, I was in the drying process when I stopped production. Lol. I didn't want to go to stage two, with the stink, or the slime. This is when I came up with this recipe for my tofu that was in the drying stage.
So easy, to make, this is how I did it with just a few ingredients...
- Tofu Firm texture. (Organic is best since this is a ferment)
- Whey, liquid about 2 cups. Enough whey to cover tofu. (I used milk kifer whey, but you can use yogurt whey. See instructions below)
- Garlic 3 cloves minced
- Cayenne Red Chili Powder 1-4 teaspoons according to taste. (Note the heat of the chilies do mellow out a bit during the fermentation.)
- Tumeric 1 heaping teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Cookie sheet
- Parchmont paper or napkins
- Sterile jar with lid
Will be tutored via pictures...
Drying stage: step 1
- Press as much liquid out of the firm tofu as possible.
- Cut into at least one inc cubes
- Skewer tofu onto skewers
- Put parchmont paper or paper towel on cookie sheet.
- Lay skewers or tofu on cookie sheet
- Put in the oven to dehydrate some more moisture. This is for better absorbtion of the lactic acid in the whey sauce.
|When they start drying and looking like this,|
not totally dried, just partially. They are ready
for the "whey sauce".
|They are drying out by the light of the oven. |
Turn about twice a day. Skewers come in
handy for easier turning.
|Collecting whey is so easy...Step 2|
Pour liquid milk kifer or plain yogurt in
a strainer that has a cloth to collect
the curds. By the way... the curds make
great cream cheese.
|Put a bowl under the strainer to collect the|
whey. No whey! Yes whey. You can see
the whey collected on the bottom, right?
A Natural lactic acid. Nice:)
|Step 3. Add Cayenne red pepper, tumeric, |
garlic and salt to the whey.
Well again my friends, I've come to another close, another day, and another share. However I am inspired to have one more share with you today. And that is be prepared. Food storage, water storage is of the utmost important. Times are changing. Weather is changing. We hear about it all the time. Folks, don't wait till it hits home. Better to be safe than sorry. Yeah, you might think, "Well, if it's my time to go, it's just my time to go". So true it is. However, it would be sad if you lived only to find you or a loved one could have used that water. Or that extra jar of peanut butter you decided not to save. It doesn't take much to prepare for a disaster. Just start small. Oatmeal, whatever! It doesn't matter. Just start please!
Ok, on a softer note, I hope you enjoyed this simple easy recipe on how to turn your plain tofu into something much tastier, and healthier. And for only a little know how. After all, my whey was free, Now my food today is medicine. Remember, please feel free to share. So till the next time...Many Blessings to all:)